A guava may not be as photogenic as avocado and the bhindi may not have the glamour of broccoli but these humbler foods are storehouses of nutrients.
Here are a list of a few superfoods that are cheap and found in our backyard
- Coconut – it aids weight loss as it speeds up metabolism. Also good for the heart.
- Guava – this fruit has been found to have the highest concentration of antioxidants among indian fruits. 100 gms of guava gives 500 miligrams of antioxidants
- Pumpkin – pumkins bland flesh contains richest supply of carotenoids (anticancer properties)
- Jowar – grown in abundance in India this millet is high on fiber and potassium and phosphorus and thus known to lower blood pressure.
- Drum stick or moringa stick – high on calcium and iron it helps in maintaining bone health and increases over all stamina.
Eat healthy eat local.